Saturday, August 5, 2017

G.O.S.-Group Caching


Two weekends in a row I've gone group geocaching. This week I joined the GOS to find puzzle caches. Many years ago, a group of 6 ladies decided to go geocaching on weekdays during summer and called themselves the Girls of Summer. They decided to start hosting events so that more females that had the day off during the week could join them. There are always some "girly men" that are welcome to join the fun. I have always enjoyed these events and have even hosted a couple in the past.

Drives provided a magnet for the side of the van!
There is a series in the Anna area of over 100 puzzles. The unsolved coordinates spell out the name Terren, named for the cacher who created them. When I heard that was our goal, I started solving puzzles. By the event I had 64 of them solved. Drives supplied the group with a list of 80 caches for us to find before lunch. He even rented a 13 person van so that most of us could go together. That was so much fun! Zekes Uncle created stickers that said GOS and 8/14/17 for us to place on the logs.



Having fun on the van!




With Drives driving (appropo) and KLCE navigating, we were able to find 54 caches from 9:30-1:00! We had no DNFs, and didn't have too much trouble finding any of the containers. 



 We found a few different cache container types. I've seen pill bottles before; however, I think these were from a vet. 



Gilliansage and TX Diva

  I was sitting on the front bench behind the driver and navigator between Gilliansage and my mom, inolaok. Besides being able to see out the front (I get motion sickness) I was able to visit with Gilliansage throughout the event! It made it easy to jump out and get a lot of the caches.  


 It sometimes takes several sets of eyes to come up with the cache.

 This girlyman, J27Smith, was a valuable member of the finding team today! 

Most of the roads on our route looked like this. We were on a few busier roads, but our driver was awesome at finding the perfect places to pull over. 



sandbassqueen on the hunt
 Drives gave me this coin for helping out by solving many of the puzzles. What an awesome gesture! 
 Having lunch after a morning of caching has always been a very enjoyable part of the group caching experience. This day we ate at Crow's Country Cafe in Anna. Cute place with some really good food! A few people had the buttermilk pie; however, I was stuffed with my lunch! 
 We even had some cachers that met us just for lunch, or that cached in their own vehicles today. 

 Where in the world did that come from? My lips are sealed.
 Another gift from fellow geocachers. Cachers that raise chickens brought 6 dozen eggs to share, and I ended up with a carton! I love how most geocachers are very giving people! Thank you , BigCarbonFootprint and Dreamcacher V!
It wouldn't be a GOS event without a group photo. We are missing one cacher (DCV)  who had to leave early.

No comments:

Post a Comment